Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It Has Begun

"And when things start to happen,
don't worry.  Don't stew.
Just go right along.
You'll start happening too."


Dr. Seuss, Oh The Places You Will Go


With 44 days left until the beginning of our trip things are starting to happen things are starting to feel real. 


I am making packing lists, researching routes, and buying gear. I tend to be a planner at times, but I am trying to relax and let this trip happen. So far it's working, the packing list is growing, the route is being pieced together and my gear is all but ready.


I love how sometimes things seem to fall into place as if there is some force helping you along on your adventure. Of course the opposite seems just as likely to happen, you feel as if the whole world is against you, with nothing but speed bumps slowing you down. Luckily the world was on my side, or at least "Dave" was, when I recently purchased a bike. 


I found Dave's bike on Craigslist and instantly new it was too good to be true. (some might call me a pessimist) I called and arranged to look at his brand new Kona Sutra late that same night. As I drove an hour across the island I began mentally preparing myself for the inevitable let down. "Surely he misstyped the price" or "It's probably stolen" Only two of the scenarios playing through my head that would eventually lead me to not buying this bike. Fully prepared for the devastating news I pulled up to a nice house in a nice neighborhood and met an even nicer person, Dave. 


He showed me the bike, for which I instantly fell in deep-sappy-emo-kid-with-his-first-crush sort love. As if this weren't enough, he then brought out a treasure trove of extras including, an extra saddle, rack and  bike shoes. Then he blew me away, after hearing a bit about my upcoming trip he walked inside and brought out two great books about bike touring and insisted that I take them as well.

Dave had grand plans of his own, he was set to bike big miles across the pond as well but a back injury ruined those plans. It is truly sad to hear that a genuinely nice, helpful and generous person has been forced to put his dream ride on hold, I can only hope that it is on pause and not a end to his bike trips. I am indebted to Dave, and I won't forget that he started my trip on such a high note. 



1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous bike! I hope it rides as well as it looks good!

    ReplyDelete