Saturday, August 24, 2013

The places we poop

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I like to think that I'm a pretty well-experienced traveler when it comes to toilets. Between Armenia, Eastern Europe and Western Europe, I feel I've experienced the range from good to bad.  But I just enjoyed the hell out of using the bathroom here in Japan (will and I are on our 1.5 hour layover in Fukuoka). Not only did the toilet have colorful picture buttons offering every service imaginable from Bidet to "flushing water" sounds, but once one sits ones behind on the seat, the sound of rushing water issues from speakers, carefully covering any embarrassing sounds that may occur. In my opinion, the fact that it was spotless and had additional cleaning materials provided should one decide that things were not quite clean enough was not important considering everything else offered. 

Will just returned from the men's room, and informed me that while he was not given the "rushing water" sounds, he did have a deodorizing option which was missing in the ladies room. From this we have decided that men do not need to worry about noises, but are expected to smell, whereas women's poop doesn't smell, but our sounds are offensive. 

Will has informed me that this is not the status quo in Korea. 

This has also been the fastest, easiest transfer I've ever had. Well done, Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment